Choosing The Best Commercial Roofing Contractor
Installing or replacing a commercial roof requires a large investment for property owners. This investment will impact you positively or negatively for the next 20-30 years. Making sure that you choose a company that you can trust is essential to your property. However, most property owners just don’t know who to trust with such a long-term critical decision. Below is a guide to help you separate the trusted professionals from the rest:
Ask your Commercial Roofer lots of questions in person.
- Different Roofers will give you proposals that vary in pricing. This is not an indication that one is better than the other. A qualified company like Royal Roofing will provide you with an extensive, detailed quote as well as pictures that substantiate the proposed work as well as options.
- Meet with 2-3 roofers in person and allow ample time with each. A great roofing company will send a knowledgeable representative who can clearly explain and back up exactly what they propose. Make sure to ask the representative a lot of questions. It’s important to verify that they are thoroughly experienced and knowledgeable about commercial roofing. By the end of your meeting, you should feel 100% confident with the person, the proposal, and the company.
Look for a commercial roofer that is fairly close to your property.
- Roofers who have been established in the community will have a great reputation to maintain. Their connections in that community will be a great source of accountability for them.
Check for Their Roofing Contractor’s Liability Insurance
- A great roofer will provide you with proof of liability insurance before you even ask. Verifying proper insurance will protect you and your property both during and after the job.
- A credentialed roofer will also have proof of workers compensation insurance, protecting you from costly and time consuming accidents or lawsuits. Royal Roofing uses its own trained in-house roofers to prevent accidents.
Do they have their Roofing Contractor’s License?
- Check to see how old each contractor’s license is. The lower the license # the better, as this indicates a longer time that the company has been in business. Additionally check for complaints and revocations with each license. This is by far one of the most important things you can do to ensure that you hire a reputable Roofing Contractor. Many unscrupulous companies say they have been in business for a long time, but when you check their license, there’s a negative history or it’s a brand new license because their old one was revoked.
- Discuss work permits and other city or county requirements with your Roofing Contractor. Many cities have different requirements and if not complied to, the job can be delayed or shut down by inspectors. Unpermitted jobs will cause future problems when additional work is needed or when selling a property.
Ask Your Roofing Contractor for references
- A reputable Roofing Contractor will have plenty of verifiable references and wonderful YELP reviews. Satisfied customers are happy to recommend businesses that did a great job and provided a good experience.
- Lots of Roofing Contractors are now turning to online platforms to receive reviews. Research these online by doing a simple Google Search of the company’s name. Various Roofing Contractors will pop up and you will be able to see their reviews, references and photos.
Read the Contract, READ THE CONTRACT (Double Take)
- Look closely at every part of the contract and make sure that your roofer has factored every component.
- Verify your contract and make sure that ALL materials are included.
Lastly, when searching for the best roofing contractor, it is best to separate the inexperienced from the experienced. Hiring a newer contractor from an older license can have major setbacks, and can result in an improperly installed roof and warranty problems. It is in your best interest to hire trained, licensed and insured roofing professionals.
Here is a recap of What To Ask Your Roofing Contractor:
- Do they have their license? If so, how many years ago?
- How much experience do they have w/shingles, hot mop or proposed roofing system?
- How long have they been in the actual business/company?
- Are they factory certified to install the proposed materials?
- Do they carry endorsements from highly regarded associations within the industry?
- What is their experience in commercial roofs?
- Ask to see a copy of your warranty for what’s included & excluded & if there are fees or trip charges for leak service.
Answering these questions will help you pull the best roofing contractor from the many out there who all say they’re “the best” but have no verifiable pedigree like Royal Roofing (in continuous business since 1980).